Parents Sue For Wrongful Death Following Son’s Fatal Public Transit Attack

Last month, the parents of a man who was fatally attacked on MetroLink in 2016 filed suit for wrongful death in St. Louis Circuit Court. The plaintiffs argue that MetroLink failed to provide adequate security to prevent the attack against their son. His father said he is suing to get someone to pay attention and address the violent crime epidemic on MetroLink.The son died at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in April 2016, roughly two weeks after he was found with a severe head injury at the MetroLink station at 410 South Euclid Avenue–Central West End. His death was ruled a homicide, although nobody has been charged. It remains unclear who killed the victim.

The 33-year-old victim was found severely injured at roughly 2 p.m. on March 19 by MetroLink officers, who had been called to the platform based on reports of a fight. The victim told the officers that he had not been in a fight and that he suffers from seizures and was recently released from the hospital. They said he appeared drunk and smelled strongly of alcohol. According to the lawsuit, he was hospitalized for brain trauma, respiratory distress, and numerous lacerations. Doctors induced a coma and then put him on life support until he died.

The father argues that there have been enough attacks on MetroLink to alert the people who run it to provide heightened security. He argued that if the people in charge had done their jobs, his son would be alive today.

There have been two other homicides that occurred on MetroLink in recent months. In mid-March, a 57-year-old man was killed near Busch Stadium from a stray bullet fired inside a train. An armed thief had been trying to rob a father and son inside the train when the gun went off during a struggle, according to authorities. The victim was shot in the head as he was walking along the platform. According to police, six people boarded the westbound train that evening and targeted the father and son, who handed them some money. But the group wanted more money, and when they didn’t get it, they allegedly attacked. One of the attackers pulled out a gun and fired it during the subsequent squabble. The police department’s homicide unit assumed control of the investigation, anticipating that the shooting would eventually become a murder case.

In early April, a 22-year-old man was fatally shot in the chest on a train during a fight near University of Missouri-St. Louis South Station. The shooting followed a fight between the victim and the assailant as their train approached the station. The shooter was caught fleeing from the train station shortly thereafter with a gun. He was charged with second-degree murder. The authorities did not provide a motive.

The recent lawsuit argues that MetroLink knew its platform stations were dangerous and had a policy of ignoring criminal activity. The plaintiffs further contend that MetroLink doesn’t employ enough security guards and has inadequate control over its stations. Moreover, it refuses to implement measures to prevent passengers from riding the trains without paying. In damages, the lawsuit seeks over $25,000.

A spokesperson for MetroLink said the company was working with city detectives on the case and notified St. Louis police on the day the victim was injured.

If you have lost a loved one, you may need the assistance of a wrongful death lawyer to seek compensation. At the Neumann Law Group, our Massachusetts attorneys provide trustworthy legal representation to victims all over the state. Contact us toll-free at 800-525-NEUMANN or use our online form to set up a free consultation.

More Blog Posts:

Massachusetts Appeals Court Holds Personal Injury Claim Barred by Release, Neumann Law Group, April 7, 2017.

Mother of New Hampshire Man Killed by Police Files Suit, Neumann Law Group, March 8, 2017.

Massachusetts Appeals Court Upholds Verdict for Defendant Doctor Infant Wrongful Death Case, Neumann Law Group, March 15, 2017.

Contact Information